Difference beetween Botox ® and hyaluronic acid ?
Botox® , by reducing the muscle contraction signal, corrects the state of muscle hypercontraction responsible for wrinkles. The effect takes between 5 and 10 days to take hold.
Hyaluronic acid is a filler and thus helps to create or restore volume. The effect is immediate.
The 3 classic injection areas:
- The glabella (or “lion’s wrinkle”) is the area between the 2 eyebrows, while the crow’s feet is the area lateral to the eye. These wrinkles are due to a state of muscular hypercontraction of the corresponding muscles: corrugator and procerus for the glabella and orbicularis for the crow’s feet. It can be seen that these wrinkles are perfectly perpendicular to the path of these muscles.
- Horizontal wrinkles on the forehead are due to a state of hypercontraction of the forehead muscle.
Other areas that can be treated with Botox ® :
- Eyebrow lift: the tail of the eyebrow can be raised by 1 to 3 mm to open the eyes
- Gummy smile”: gums that are too visible when smiling
- Bunny lines”: oblique wrinkles at the base of the nose
- Opening of the eye in Asians
- Correction of a dropping nose tip: by injecting and weakening the depressor muscle of the nose, we can raise the tip of the nose by 5 to 10°.
- Creation of a smile at rest: elevation of the corners of the mouth by 2 mm at rest
- Cobble chin : correction of the hypercontracted state of the mentalis muscle
- Plastysmal cords : vertical cords on the neck due to hypercontraction of the platysma muscle
- Perioral wrinkles : correction of the hypercontracted state of the oral orbicularis muscle
- Bitterness folds: injection into the depressor muscle of the angle of the mouth and correction of its hypercontracted state
- Correction of bruxism : correction of the hypercontracted state of the masticatory muscles
- Injection in the masseters: in some patients (especially Asian patients), the masseter muscle is often hypertrophic and therefore very thick, which gives a square appearance to the jaw. By injecting botox (large dose): 2 to 4 ampoules of botox), we create an atrophy of the masseter and thus, we give a “V” aspect of the lower face.
- Hypertranspiration: Botox® blocks the signal to the perspiration glands (sweat glands). The palms of the hands and feet, the forehead as well as the armpits can be treated.
Only doctors, with a licence, can inject Botox ® in Switzerland. Laboratories selling Botox ® are only authorized to sell it to licensed doctors. There are many counterfeits that can endanger your body.
Selective injection of Botox in the muscles mentioned above (requiring a perfect knowledge of anatomy)
Final results within 15 days
Longevity of results: 3-9 months (rather 3 months in patients who have already had more than 10 times botox, it is often interesting in this case to try Bocouture ®or Azzalure ®which can give a more prolonged effect)
Before the injection:
Inform Dr. Lucas of any anticoagulant medication (Sintrom, Coumadin, Eliquis, etc..) or Aspirin, special care will be taken during the injections to avoid small vessels and prevent hematoma
Take Arnica 5 capsules 5 times a day for 5 days before surgery to prevent hematoma if taking anticoagulants or Aspirin
Contraindications: myasthenia, neuromuscular diseases, pregnancy, breastfeeding
Pain: no, with an experienced injector
Duration of procedure: 20 minutes
Outpatient (without hospitalization)
After the procedure:
Post-injection pain: no
Social eviction: no
Return to work: immediate
Resumption of sports: 48h
Avoid sauna, hammam, hot shower and massage of the injection areas for 48 hours
Stop smoking to prolong the effect of Botox
Check-up by Dr Lucas 2 weeks
Complications common to all injections :
– Infection, hematoma, asymmetry, under-correction
– Diffusion into adjacent muscles: diplopia, eyelid ptosis, lowering of the labial commissure
Alternatives and operations that can be combined :
Botox ® often correctly corrects “dynamic” wrinkles, i.e., not visible at rest but present during facial expressions.
For “static” wrinkles (present at rest), a combination with the CO2 laser or hyaluronic acid gives better results.